“A harsh, hilarious, scurrilous, and scatological satire.”
—Ed Simon, JSTOR Daily
Poet John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, was considered one of the greatest English satirists — a nimble wit and scribbler of sublime wordplay, parodies & pornographic puns.
Hailed by Graham Greene and Ezra Pound, Wilmot is perhaps best known for his outrageous libertine satires, including this wickedly funny Restoration drama.
Originally titled The Farce of Sodom, or the Quintessence of Debauchery, DEBAUCH-O-RAMA is an absurdist “closet drama” – written to be read aloud and not performed. It consists of five acts in raunchy rhyming couplets and a madcap cast of characters:
- Bolloxinion – King of Sodom
- Cuntigratia – his Queen
- Pricket – young Prince
- Swivia – Princess
- Buggeranthos – General of the Army
- Pockenello – Prince and favourite of the King
- Borastus – Buggermaster-General
- Pene & Tooly – Pimps of Honour
- Officina – Maid of Honour
- Fuckadilla – Maid of Honour
- Cunticulla – Maid of Honour
- Clytoris – Maid of Honour
- Flux – Physician to the King
- Vertuso – Dildo- and Merkin-Maker for the Court
Let the curtain rise and the laughter begin!
A Restoration Closet Drama
by John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
Pocket Erotica [№ 11 ]
65 pp.; paper, perfect bound; 4 x 6 inches; $10